Events and Resources for Veterans in the Bend, Redmond, Madras, and Warmsprings Areas
This message brought to you by the Tribal Member Liaison.
Veterans Ranch Fire Pit Debut
Host/Coordinating Organization: Central Oregon Veterans Ranch
Date/Time: May 12, 2022, 5:30 PM (Pacific)
Location: Bend, Oregon
Additional Information: Join local veterans for community and spectacular evening sky! Food will be provided. This event is free and exclusive to veterans. Please call 541.706.9062 for additional information.
Gulf War Exposures & Health Concerns – A Class for Veterans (virtual event)
Host/Coordinating Organization: USDVA’s War-Related Illness and Injury Study Center
Date/Time: May 12, 2022 from 1:30 PM – 3 PM (Eastern)
Additional Information: Sign up for VA’s free, virtual class Gulf War Exposures & Health Concerns: A Class for Veterans. You can attend through your personal computer, smart phone, or tablet. Click here to register.
Oregon Department of Veteran’s Affairs Advisory Committee Meeting (virtual event)
Host/Coordination Organization: Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs
Date/Time: June 1, 2022, 9:30 AM (Pacific)
Additional Information: The next meeting of the Advisory Committee to the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs will be held Wednesday, June 1, 2022, via Zoom. The meeting is being held virtually and begins at 9:30 a.m. The public is invited to attend. The committee is made up of veterans appointed by the governor to provide counsel on veteran issues and represent veteran concerns across Oregon. Its nine members serve in a vital advisory role to the director and staff of the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs. ODVA’s Reports to the Advisory Committee are available to the public on the ODVA website: https://issuu.com/odva/stacks/38107bb40c054695831edf5634865ca4
- To attend: You will need to pre-register using this link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwudeirrzksEtLtNYa_M71dTFtv1n1qCONv. Pre-registration is required. Once pre-registered you will receive the meeting link. Join by Zoom via Telephone: Dial 1 (253) 215-8782. When prompted, enter the meeting ID: 883 2131 2686 # and password/participant ID: 708263#. You will be prompted to state your name. State your first and last name.
- Town Hall: There will be a Town Hall at the end of the business meeting in which we invite you to ask questions of the committee and director. This time is set aside for individuals to bring up broader veteran community issues. Members of the community are also invited to submit written public comments to the Committee at the following email address: email@example.com. More information can be found online at www.oregon.gov/odva/Pages/advisory.aspx or to contact the Advisory Committee, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
How Can Technology Improve How we Predict and Prevent Suicidal Thoughts and Behavioral?
Host/Coordinating Organization: CAMS-care
Date/Time: June 1, 2022, 12-1 PM (Pacific)
Additional Information: Join us for this hour-long webinar, “How can technology improve how we predict and prevent suicidal thoughts and behavior? ” with Dr. Evan Kleiman. Technology like smartphones and smartwatches have become nearly ubiquitous over the past few years. This has led to a surge of interest into using this technology to better understand suicide risk as it occurs in everyday life as well as improve the delivery of interventions for suicide risk. In this webinar, Dr. Kleiman will first focus on the progress we have made in using technology to predict and prevent suicidal thoughts and behaviors. Next, he will talk about the opportunities and challenges of using technology with suicidal individuals in clinical practice. Dr. Kleiman will end by giving a balanced view of what may and may not be possible in the future when using technology to study suicide. Please note, we have received a lot of interest in our free webinar series. If you find that registration is full, you will be able to access a recording of the webinar within a few days of the event at www.CAMS-care.com where you can find all of our previous free webinars. Additionally, CEs and Certificates of Attendance will not be offered for this webinar. Please click here to register for the webinar.
Star Behavioral Health Provider Training & CEs – Understanding the Military Experience
Host/Coordinating Organization: Star Behavioral Health Program, Center for Deployment Psychology Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
Date/Time: Multiple between May 24, 2022 – September 15, 2022
Additional Information: Service members, veterans, and their families make sacrifices for all of us. Star Behavioral Health Providers (SBHP) offers training to help you better understand their experiences and an online registry that will help them find you. SBHP training is comprised of thee tiers. Please note, tiers must be taken sequentially. All trainings are free of charge. Please contact training coordinator, Eddie Black at email@example.com with questions.
- Tier One Training – Introduction to Military Culture and Deployment Psychology August 18, 2022 (Virtual – Zoom) September 15, 2022 (In Person – Portland)
- Tier Two Training – Overview of Behavioral health Challenges Related to Military Service May 24 – 25, 2022 (Virtual – Zoom) June 14-15, 2022 (In Person – Bend)
- Tier Three Training – Rotating Topic July 19-20, 2022 (virtual – Zoom), Topic: Acceptance & Commitment Therapy August 23-24, 2022 (In Person – Portland), Topic: CBT for Chronic Pain
Access Neighbor Impact’s Mobile Food Pantry
Host/Coordination Information: Neighbor Impact
Date/Time: June 3, July 1, August 5 from 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Additional Information: Neighbor Impact’s Mobile Food Pantry offers a free walk up – shopping style experience. Items can range from fresh produce, canned/frozen meats, to healthy non-perishable foods. First come first serve. Please note, availability and quantity may vary based on donated resources and season. No income or ID required. Mobile Food Panty will be in Madras at the Jefferson County Community/Senior Center on the first Friday of each month (May through August, 2022). Want to know when the truck is on the way? Text FRESH2MADRAS @ 541.577.1673.